Koyadera Temple was one of the 49 monasteries built by the Buddhist Priest Gyoki in the Nara Period.
The temple began as a small hut, or ‘koya’, functioning as a resting place for wearied travellers and the sick.
In 1579 it was burnt down during battle between Araki Murashige and Oda Nobunaga, and was rebuilt in the Edo era, surviving to this day.
In 1969 the Buddhist deity ‘Virupaksa’ (‘Komokuten’ in Japanese) was officially enshrined within the main temple, and in 1998 a statue of the deity ‘Vaisravana’ (‘Tamonten’) was installed – both of which have officially been designated as Cultural Properties of Japan.