Before being renamed “Inano Jinja Shrine” in 1869, the shrine was variously known as “Nomiya”, “Tennomiya”, and “Gozutenomiya”.
The shrine is devoted to the Shinto deity Susanoo-no-Mikoto.
The approach to the shrine is flanked by 97 stone lanterns donated by local merchants and sake brewers, with the oldest dating from 1643. In the shrine’s western hall there is a large stone of 136cm bearing a haiku carved by famous poet Onitsura. A large tree of 13.5m known locally as Mukuroji located within the shrine’s precincts and estimated to be over 200 years old was also designated a Municipal Cultural Property in 1869.